Monday, December 8, 2014

Dance & Fashion at the Museum at FIT


FIT's museum exhibits and I go WAAAAY back.  I remember one cold winter evening after a tailoring class many moons ago, when I casually stepped into the downstairs exhibit space to see an exbit by a designer I'd never heard of... Norell.  That exhibit was ABSOLUTELY breathtaking and unforgettable.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but...

The power of this one comes close!

I don't think there is enough I can say about this one to allow you to live it vicariously, so you'll just have to go see it yourself.

While I'm sure you expect ballerina tutus and flamenco dresses (and there are some of those), what you don't expect is the Rei Kawakubo's lumpy, bumpy designs for Merce Cunningham, and so many beautiful examples of wild creativity and beauty.  I think this is an exhibit that merits more than just one simple pass, as I needed to stop and think a few times as I viewed it.

"When you design for a dancer, you are designing for an athlete."  This is my own paraphrased version of the text introducing the exhibit space.  A video, showing jellyfish-like dancers  flowing within a seemingly gelatinous gauze mesmerizes you before you open the door to the space.

This exhibit is a magical experience.  Be sure to check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.