Sunday, September 9, 2012

Inspired by New York Fashion Week

Picture above is not my own (of course).  The source is this lively blog.

Before really reading the critics' and bloggers' takes on Fashion Week thus far, here are my observations: The collections I've seen indicate to me that, much like Fall/Winter 2012,  Spring/Summer 2013 is all about fabric in exciting colors, textures, with creative manipulations and surface embellishments, while the shapes of the garments remain relatively unfussy/uncomplicated. I've seen a number of garments that defy this, but, for the most part, those don't seem to be in the "wearable" category, so we'll just ignore them for now... The fabric is the star of the show, making fabric shopping quite a satisfying adventure right now.  The district is bursting with fun stuff, and, if this is indeed the trend that clicks with the masses, you don't have to worry about looking like a circus clown if you join the party!  Really now, looking at the pictures above, there are no construction mysteries leaving you wondering how these garments were made, right?

And, how cute is that?  I have a dangerously similar print lingering in my "someday" pile right now!
And Metro Textiles has some pretty great (subtler) patterns, too!


And, as exciting as some of the pieces are, really, where am I going in stuff like this?  These fabrics give me ideas for more practical and versatile ways to use similar ones, and I know just where to go to get them!

For example, that Monique L'Huillier sparkly blue dress (above) looks great, but, if I were its owner, would hang forever in my closet, garment-bagged, taunting me...  possibly making one or two outings before retiring. You know what wouldn't?  A great sequined tank or loose rectangular shell, with a tuxedo striped pant and ballet flats or heels. Doable, yes.  B&J Fabrics has exactly what I would need to make that happen.

NY Fashion Week, its energy, and the relentless media coverage give me insane mojo, and inspiration abounds right now! If you are ready to build your collection of supplies for yourself, your clients, or your own collection, make sure you visit the district soon to start shopping, researching, and making contacts.  If you are coming with me on my fabric shopping tour on the 28th, (sold out) you are gonna LOVE what you find!!!

And... don't believe the trend reports.  Seriously. After all, I just spotted this great trend report from Harpers for our current 2012 looks, where Flower-Power, Africa, and Gatsby-inspired looks were highlighted. The Gatsby looks are wonderful, and definitely much more advanced sewing/design work... but I don't see how any of these really manifested themselves on the streets here.  I think people are really listening to their own drummers (and wallets) these days.

So what inspires you?  Music? Art? Fabric? People on the street? Movies/media? Travel? There is just so much to experience and see... Personally, I am really inspired by children right now.  Oh, to be a 7 year-old with a healthy fashion budget!  I'd really have an amazing wardrobe!

To boost your creativity even more, here's a wonderful video highlighting how some designers use music to inspire, influence, and accompany their collections. Notice the designer playlists on the page, and see if any agree with your aesthetic!

As if you needed anything else to inspire you, there's an app for the iPad that will let you explore the collections in the comfort of your own lap!  Beware inspiration overload...

Where is your mojo level right now?  Ready to create?  Or ready for a nap?


9 comments:

  1. I love your ideas for taking your inspiration and making it doable for your life. I won't follow your video link, as I am already overloaded with inspiration AND tired. Bad combo. I want to do and make everything but I have only enough energy for the musts and the needs, right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, do I understand, Nettie! Been there! And thank you!

      Delete
  2. I got lots of inspiration today on a routine downtown date with hubby. No matter how many times I go into DC I see something new, different and the weather was spectacular today, with the landscaping at its glorious peek. Also, nice to be somewhere where people are not so obsessed with fashion, but oh they look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and I loooove that Kate Spade dress in the Garance Dore print, but more for looking at. I don't think I could wear something that brand-self-conscious. But the neckline is cute cute cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, though! Yes, the dress is playful... kinda straight outta the kids dept! But I totally see where it's going, and I could do something similar and fun!

      Delete
  4. I'm back to sewing...cranked out one shell this weekend that I can wear with my stretch lace tops. Are there any signs that the ruffled jersey fabrics are on their way out? I'm asking only because that's what this shell is made out of...and I'm not done with this fabric yet because there's more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries on the ruffled jersey for now. As long as we're into the pleating/ruching/ruffling phase of things, I think you'll be fine!

      Delete
  5. I've been attending a few shows in fashion week and it's been a lot of inspiration for me as well. I have a few blog posts about the shows I've seen, check it out if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! I will. As the owner of www.fndadressmaker.com, I've been scrambling to send stitchers help designers get their pieces finished for the shows, so I'm only in on the stress right now, not the glamour!

      Delete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.