Sunday, July 20, 2014

Navel Gazing

"Insufferable."

That was a word used to describe my blog.  See the negative post here. Funny thing is, introspective rambling is kinda what the blogosphere is about, isn't it?  And I really like that. Frankly, I like to visit the blogs of people I find fun/interesting to listen to.  If it isn't interesting to me, I simply don't read it. Problem solved.  If I were an aspiring journalist, I would report news.  An activist?  I'd talk about issues.  A garment district fanatic? Well, I do wander a bit, but that's my focus, really.  So...

...

WELCOME! 

There was also a comment regarding the fact that I don't often show the things I make.  Well, I don't think my taste in clothing and accessories would necessarily have a broad appeal, but the appeal of the things I do make is extremely specific.  I am wildly self-conscious about doing "selfies", so my photos don't often capture the "magic" that I'd like to convey.  If you have an interest in seeing what I've made, I'll gladly show you. As a matter of fact, I'll show some things more often, and see how that goes.

Because I'm neither a plain Jane nor a supermodel, I am not quite sure how to take pictures of myself in a way that doesn't look like I'm neither trying too hard, or not trying hard enough.  I do know how to do the "movie star" thing, since I've done it for so many other people, but doing it for myself just feels... weird.  Living in a city like New York gives and abundance of fancy places to take photos while looking "natural", but I just can't...

So, I'll share something here today.  

This is in response to something i saw on the internet that really annoys me....   I don't like these "halfway" DIY posts that kinda hint at how to do something, without really telling you what you need to do to make it.  It feels kinda like someone explaining how to parallel park to someone whose never done it. So, here's the "vest" I made, and how I made it.

At 2:15 PM - I took out a small piece of a border print stretch knit from Elliott Berman.  Pretty, right?  60" long, 30" wide.  What could be done with it to feature the borders?


This fabric was particularly suitable for my plan...


I hemmed all four raw edges on the machine.  Finished that at about 2:30.

Did other things, ate lunch, had some phone conversations, sorted the laundry, and watched Keeping Up with the Kardashians.  Yeah, seriously.

At about 6:30 PM, I sewed a loop on the center top back edge, tied the two front top corners to it, and VOILA! I had made  a vest.

Looks nice when worn, but you've just gotta trust me, since I am a very selfie-conscious!
Back

Front - no closures



Very basic, very pretty, very easy, and I can wear it with a spaghetti strap tank top and make the tank look significantly less bare, and more easy-casual.

Total time investment? Hard to say, since I had to make some decisions about which fabric I'd use, and what dimensions kept if from looking heavy, and that takes some time.  But really, 1/2 hr?  Here are the simple instructions I wrote, which you may save, if you're interested.





If this kind of explanation makes no sense to you, please feel free to let me know, as I am very interested in how different brains process information...

21 comments:

  1. I went to the site to which you referred. It is a full page of, shall we say, disgruntled people. I don't like everything that gets written on lots of blogs. But as you point out, time to turn the channel. Keep at it, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am particularly baffled by the whole nasty critique philosophy of that thread, but hey... Of all the "navel gazing" in the blogosphere, MY blog is where they start? Odd, to say the least!

      Delete
  2. Nowhere is it written that anyone has to read any blog they come across. Some people should just keep channel surfing, as annie already stated. You don't need them. I for one would sorely miss your rambling, so please don't pay any attention, and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry about these grumpy people... it's your blog and you write what you want !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your link was my first exposure to that site. Quite a corrosive culture they've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh for god's sake… I love your blog as it is, and you can share (or not share) whatever you want here, because it's YOUR blog. Not everyone needs to post all their sewing projects, and if I want to see sewing or knitting or basket weaving projects I can go somewhere else. There are some blogs that I grew to dislike, but guess what - it's easy enough to stop reading them! Keep doing what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. If you don't like what you are reading, move on. Simple. Love the vest. I never would have come up with that. I have the same selfie problem and that's why I read blogs and don't write one myself. I like being behind the camera, not in front of one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is one nasty site you linked to. On the bright side, it shows that A LOT of people read your blog. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the whiners just went along with the first snarky post and actually still read your blog religiously.

    I don't get the original complaint, the accusation of navel gazing. I've never felt that way about your blog. To me, you have enough to let readers get to know you without going overboard.

    Don't let the riff raff get you down! Anyone who would post that original comment is just not a nice person. Same goes for those who responded with similar unkind responses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ramble on!!

    I learned about GOMI a few months ago; I was happier not knowing. I think many of the comments about sewing blogs and bloggers are just fueled by jealousy. I'm glad it's not typical of the sewing blogosphere, which I've always thought of as an accepting, supportive and welcoming place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate everyone's encouragement to ramble!

      Delete
  9. Ignore them. I was SO disappointed that all your tours were booked up last October when we visited NY. If we can face the security nightmare I will certainly try again.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.