Thursday, April 30, 2015

Yesterday in the Garment District - Butterfly Fabrics (A+ on customer service)

This lace...
Let's start with the eye candy. You may not be able to appreciate it from this photo, but this is a very heavy, drapey lace, that would make a great sweatshirt or hoodie.  (Of course, I'd wear a flesh-toned tank top underneath).

Yes, you heard me correctly...  

It just calls out to be a hoodie, and to work with white denim pants or shorts.  To quote Bruno Mars, "Don't believe me?  Just watch!"

Changes are afoot in the garment district, to be sure.  It seems that the district is losing its taste for the messy, casual Mom-and-Pop style stores that we love, and has pushed many of them to upgrade, or risk sleeker establishments taking their place.  Is this a good thing?  Jury's still out on that one for me...

The fabric pictured above, I spotted at Butterfly Fabrics, which is now a very organized, neat arrangement of interesting and eclectic fabrics. Bargains are few, and the prices are generally affordable, but you are less inclined to simply snatch something up, unless you have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket.  The service is patient and professional.  Other fabrics I found there are below.

Silk patchwork.  Cool for home dec, or maybe a coat lining???

This is just the coolest silk fabric ever.  You'd have to see it in person to fully appreciate it.

I am noticing now that the more sophisticated appearance of the stores are making customers more inclined to ask for specific help beyond what you would normally ask a fabric store to do.  A woman entered the Butterfly while I was there, bellowing from the doorway, "Turquoise lining!" (and not in a nice way)

Did they help her?  Yes, and guided her through appropriate choices for her project. Frankly, I was impressed.

Another woman came in and said she was making a kimono for a man, and asked how many yards to buy.  Rather than just announcing some large quantity, the staffer patiently asked, "Well, how tall is he?"

Nice work, Butterfly...

Butterfly Fabrics
237 West 35th Street
212-768-3940

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.