Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cool Event: City Source Supplier Showcase, Jan. 10

The 1st Annual City Source Local Supplier Showcase
Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Fashion Institute of Technology's Great Hall


FIT and the Garment Industry Development Corporation are proud to host 50 locally based factories and suppliers who will showcase their work, including pleating, embroidery, sample and pattern making, printers, production, marking and grading, wovens, accessories, knits, small lots, tailoring, and quick turns. Click here to register for the event, which is open to "designers, retailers, students and fashionistas."

This sounds like a great way to experience all the fabulous resources the Garment District has to offer—meaning the ones that aren't readily apparent to those of us who tend to dwell on the street level. I have this event on my calendar. Hope to see you there!
 


3 comments:

  1. Have fun -- let us know what you find out.

    Funny you should mention street level. I was collecting my notes the other day, thinking about this year's trip, and wondering how many retail places I've missed because they don't have a street level store with a sign or a display in the window. I usually don't need GD "services" when I visit, but I sure am looking for supplies. It's not easy to sort out who's upstairs where, and if they are wholesale or retail. A post topic for another time? A list of retailers not at street level?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this notice. The registration web page mentioned a fabric sourcing show called "Premiere Vision" that opens the same day. A blog interview I read recently discussed that show. If possible, you might want to go and see if it would worth it for a nonprofessional to go.

    http://truthplusblog.com/2011/12/15/sartorial-stars-misha-nonoo-of-nonoo/


    QuiltB:

    A couple of years ago, Threads Magazine did a piece on specialty service companies that would take work on single pieces. Many of them were in the Garment District. Also, if you ever take a class at FIT, get a copy of the Resource Guide. It lists many places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Following up on my previous comment, which has not yet appeared.)

    Premiere Vision, an important fabric sourcing show, seems to be open to the public and free. I just applied for a badge.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.