Friday, April 19, 2013

Fact or fiction?

A little of both... it seems!

Serendipitously, I heard about this book, which is a collection of short stories inspired by one man's life and experience (read a related WWD article by clicking through the link) working in New York City's garment district.

Curious to see what this short story collection might actually be, I read the first chapter on my Kindle, and was pulled in immediately...



"The best part is, not only does Leonard have an incredible wealth of decades worth of experience, but he's entertaining and genuine. " said his publisher.  So, with their permission, I called him up.

And... the story gets even better.  I had the pleasure of meeting him yesterday, and the information he shared with me was MIND-BLOWING.

I will tell you more shortly...

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you could meet him! Can't wait to hear your report.

    Sure wish my grandmother had lived long enough for me to ask her about her experiences working in The District most of her life. She saw it from the management side, but would have had some tales to tell from the 50's and 60's, too. All I know are snippets I've heard from relatives, which only leave me more curious. I did stop at the Hecht sewing machine shop one time, and showed the owner an old company letterhead from one of the places where Grandma worked. Unfortunately, he did not recall them - had never repaired machines for them. So I need to continue researching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the name of the company where your grandma worked?

      Delete
    2. Mimi, I'll e-mail you...

      Delete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.