Saturday, February 14, 2015

"99 Problems But a ___ ain't one" - On filling in the blanks -- A Teen's Perspective

Updated post

*Note: If you don't know, those are the lyrics of a famous Jay-Z song...



My son is a Jay-Z fanatic.  And well, frankly, I can't blame him.  His lyrical abilities are absolutely Shakespearian. I wish there were someone better with clean lyrics.  In my experience so far, there isn't. I really hate all the "bleeping".  It feels like a verbal assault on me AND my kids.  We know what you're bleeping.  Seriously, what's the point?

My daughter's sketch of my son

I'm not so sure that it isn't even a greater horror to hear my "wittle" 13 year-old girl sing ALL the words to Maroon 5's song, "Animals".

Perfectly...

I know artists love to say they don't write these songs for kids, but the songs are out there.  In the world.  And our kids are out there.  In the world.  The radio plays on the school bus, from cars driving down the streets, on the radio.  And not just once.  Over and over and over...

"Even when they bleep the words out," I said to her, "it's no mystery what they're saying.  There have to be more subjects to cover than all of this profanity and sexual stuff."

Yes, my inner "old fogey" is coming out.  I was a Prince fan at 13 - and, yeah, that's probably worse...

"But I don't think that's an example of a good song," she said.
"I agree," I said, relieved.
"No, I mean the actual QUALITY of the song."
"I agree," I sighed, even more relieved...

"It's kinda like those reading comprehension tests where they ask you to fill in the blanks.  Why would they think we don't know what words they're replacing?"

Time: About 9PM, January 13, 2015

See the idea behind "Teen Perspective" posts here.


See most recent "Teen Perspective" post here.

By the way, her favorite songs are also some of mine (examples here, here, and everything Pink could ever sing...), so I like her choices of downloads, to which we are (happily) privy!

The night began with a brainstorming session on the teen's IPod Touch "WaistCase" (her term).




"Let's call it a belt/bag hybrid" she said.

"The belt should still be a belt, even if I'm not carrying the bag.  But I should be able to wear it like a purse, too, since I'm not always wearing something that uses a belt."

Hmmmm...  An online search yielded nothing similar to what we were thinking.  Also, we decided it shouldn't be so limiting in its use and/or how it is worn.

"It should have a MetroCard pocket", I said.  (My fellow NYC peeps understand that.)

*Side note: Everything I make for myself has a MetroCard pocket.

Solid, dark color (like black).  No bright colors or designs needed or wanted.

Sideways orientation to easily access volume control.  Space for earbud cord to pass through.

Should close with a zipper.

Needs to be durable, with gentle padding. So it's a plan...

What supplies did we use?

I retired an old pair of black jeans that were falling apart for the fabric.  "Aged denim seems right." she said. 





Left-over bonded leather, purchased at Fashion Design Books (for a different project), makes a great protective layer, and gives the case more of a firm body. 


Bonded leather between the layers adds cushioning, to protect the device from getting knocked around...
We just eyeballed the measurements after tracing the ipod on the fabric and allow some wiggle room.
Not much thought/precision was needed.  Belt loops on back, reclaimed jeans pocket on front.


All done! We already have a black strap with clips attached, which can turn this into an across-the-chest pouch, too.

Happy kid.  After school, she put her IPod in the pouch and started her own personal dance party immediately. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.