Monday, July 6, 2015

Heroes of the Garment District - Example #2 - FIT Museum



Let's talk about the Global Fashion Capitals exhibit at FIT. It seemed a particularly American idea, as if to indicate that we Americans are unaware that every human being on the planet who has any disposable income is inclined to have at least some level of an interest in fashion, I was particularly intrigued.  What would this be?

I didn't know what to expect from such a broad topic.  Before reading the brochure, I wasn't sure where they were headed with this exhibit, so I ventured in to see the pieces. I must say it is important to read the brochure or any literature you can before taking this exhibit in, so you don't miss the point here.  Think local AND global.  Think international, think technology, think textiles, think androgynous, think edgy, think city, think opulence, think historical, think modern, or frankly, just think... 

And it is so fabulous that we are now allowed to take pictures and share via social media all we want!

Dior, Balenciaga

McQueen



Claire McCardell


What I found, after some looking around, was an all-inclusive celebration of creativity and innovation.  Many continents represented, many creative directions taken. There is no word that would characterize this entire display, but "artistic" and "individual", are the best ones that come to mind.

Among the works on display, were the designer names anyone would expect - names like Balenciaga, Miyake, Galliano, Chanel, Poiret, Claire McCardell, McQueen etc.  But, I also really appreciated the names I've never heard from the places I've never been.

Here's some eye candy:





Christopher kane, London

This exhibit will be in place for quite some time, and will close on November 12, 2015.  I strongly suggest a visit!

Note: Better photos than mine can be found here.



1 comment:

  1. great tips on clothing patterns…. i’m amazed by the work that can go into a good fit.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.