Monday, February 6, 2017

Black Designers at the FIT Museum - you won't know unless you go...

When I walked into the exhibit on a Saturday, around 12 PM, I didn't expect a crowd.  But there was one.  I didn't expect a really diverse audience, but there was one.

Two very excited ladies (not Black), oohing and aahing over the pieces heard me talking to the extremely knowledgeable black guard (older gentleman) who gave me book recommendations, and overheard our frenzied chatter about how great the exhibit was, and asked me, "What were you expecting?"



Great question. I don't know that I can answer that. Did I expect hoodies, endless t-shirts, sneakers, jackets and caps, emblazoned with hip-hop themes and street lingo?  Maybe I did.

Pharrell

Clothes you would never otherwise dream of, or see...


Epperson

To follow up on my earlier post on this exhibit, I will share what made it so great.  Click here for the audio tour component of the exhibit, which you can watch from anywhere.

I can only suggest that you go. I saw brilliance.  I saw the work and mention of some people I actually know personally.  I saw recent historical references I understand. I saw magical pieces.  My brain took a leap.  I felt great about what I saw, those pieces, the exhibit, and I knew... THIS exhibit is for me.



2 comments:

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.