Tuesday, August 19, 2008

NYC Button Store Review: LouLou Buttons

Address: 69 W. 38th Street (near Sixth Avenue), New York, NYC
Phone: 212-398-5498
Hours:  Monday - Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Online store: n/a
Best for: the wide assortment of buttons of all materials

I am a button fanatic. I frequently replace the buttons on the clothes I buy because I feel that buttons are a detail many RTW manufacturers think they can skimp on. I cringe when I see fellow sewists create a stunning jacket and then ruin it with cheap-looking buttons. There's no need to limit ourselves to the meager selection at Jo-Ann's when places like M&J Trimming sell beautiful buttons online. And if you're visiting NYC's garment center there are several excellent button stores, including LouLou Buttons on W. 38th Street.

LouLou Buttons is small and more manageable. When costumers for stage and screen need buttons they turn to LouLou Buttons. I've chosen LouLou Buttons for several jackets and tops I've sewn and will continue to shop there.


LouLou Buttons is just one long room of buttons. But what buttons they are.

3 comments:

  1. Cute little store right around the corner from 6th Ave., a stone's throw from MJ Trim & the ribbon & trim stores between there & 5th Ave. (wander east from LouLou's towards 5th).

    Someone's always sitting at LouLou's counter ready to help you find suitable buttons. Prices are about average for the city. I seem to remember a large selection of wooden & shell & novelty buttons, more than I remember seeing elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you ever sell button by abag full for x amount. I just collect them to look at

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't, personally. There were times when I used to find such collections for sale. The stores that used to do this no longer exist, as far as I know. If anyone knows different, feel free to chime in!

      Delete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.