Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Value of Wigan

Speaking of things people who create are having trouble finding...

Inspired by a post on Miss Celie's Pants, I felt compelled to write about "wigan".  I then checked Kathleen's Fashion Incubator blog who offers far more information on the subject than anyone ever even asked for (which is one of the reasons I adore her), and then referred to my own sewing definition and explanation bible, otherwise known as Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide.

Wigan is sold by the yard, cut from a roll of stiff, bias cut interfacing, somewhere around 1.5" wide, and used for hems and cuffs.

Looks like the best garment district alternative, if you cannot find it pre-made, would be to bias-cut it yourself, using horsehair interfacing from Steinlauf and Stoller, (doesn't sound like a terrible amount of effort - personally, I'd use the continuous bias method to make yourself a reasonable amount. That's not hard at all...


Example of how to do this is found on The Sewing Loft Blog

Otherwise, Banasch's has been rumored to have it, if you call and mail order!

1 comment:

  1. I was able to purchase mine from Claire herself when I took her class. I also was able to get the three inch wide wiggan as well and black and white for colors. Not sure if she sells it outside of class but it would be worth an email. She has a facebook page as well. I love working with wiggan. It makes a beautiful base for a hem.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.