Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Atonement dress part II


A version of this post was originally posted on my personal blog, in January 2008.

Strangely enough, the "Atonement dress" post continued to attract quite a few visitors to the blog. I really don't know why. I can only assume that people are drawn to this dress, and want to capture a bit of that magic in their own lives. They want to know who made it, if anyone has knocked it off, where can they buy it, perhaps?

I wrote the earlier post because of a lovely article in The New York Post (which I don't normally read) about this dress (above), made for Keira Knightley's character in "Atonement". Make sure you read on to page two of the article, where the costume designer's (Jacqueline Durran) inspiration is explained.

I adored this article, because, unlike so many others, they don't make it seem that anyone just "whipped up" a little number for her. The article really lets you know that specificity, specialness and art take a considerable amount of time, expense, and experimentation.

But what really puzzles me, is the incredible interest in this dress, considering how obviously specific it is to Keira Knightley's body, lighting and set design of the film. Most women of any age are... well, three dimensional, and wouldn't carry off such a design too well. I mean, imagine trying to disguise a tummy bulge, rounded shoulders, a droopy bosom, hips, anything at all, in that gown.

What I see in this dress, is a Vionnet inspiration. This lovely work contains patterns for a variety of Vionnet's designs, and one is evocative of the Atonement gown. The main difference, though, is that this dress would work on a more ample and/or rounded figure. Basically, this dress is more doable. And it can always be made in green...


What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. Here's what I think! I love this blog!!! I love where you have taken it and I appreciate that you agreed to continue it. It is such a valuable resource to a lot of people and I hope you get that feedback. This dress is amazing and thought provoking. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda! You have said exactly what I needed to hear at this very moment! I appreciate your comment!

      Delete
  2. Mimi, I agree with Linda! Thanks so much for keeping this blog alive and making it even better!

    This is a beautiful dress but, I agree, not for most women. I have found that younger women love designs such as this. My blog is 3 years old, but it's my post on how to knock off an Anthropologie skirt that has been insanely popular - well over 25,000 page visits to date and my most popular pin on Pinterest. My next most visited page has something like several thousand hits - no where near as many. I'm pretty sure that most of my "regular" readers would never make that skirt. ;) I just showed how to draft it because a woman asked and it was a fun exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some garments really strike a chord, don't they?

      Delete
  3. I am sorry, but I am not finding the Amazon slideshow you are referring to.

    I agree with you & want to look up that book. Also, I want to go on one of your tours, but I won't be anywhere NYC for the rest of the year (at least). I hope you do more next year.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - that wasa comment from the old blog. Lemme correct that. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the book is Madeleine Vionnet by Betty Kirke and Issey Miyake. New deluxe edition coming out in September. You can find it on Amazon.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, the Vionnet is GORGEOUS. I love that Atonement dress, but like you I immediately saw that it can be worn by Keira Knightley and maybe two other people in this world. Maybe. The Vionnet is definitely more wearable.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.