Thursday, August 23, 2012

NYC Fabric Store Review: Sposabella Lace

Sposabella Lace

240W 37TH street

Store 1

New York, NY 10018

212-254-4729



It seems fitting that today, on my 16th wedding anniversary, I would feature the store that brought me so much joy and happiness about 16.5 years ago.

I made my simple wedding dress at home that hot summer, while watching the olympics, using $100 worth of materials.  Yes, seriously.

But I glammed up my whole look at Sposabella Lace.  They had (and still have) headpieces to die for.  They sold (and still sell) beautiful lace for trimmings, etc. I added about $500 worth of headgear, veil and delicate pearl edging to my simple creation, and put together a really pretty ensemble.  And I still have that tiara stored away (somewhere) for my daughter's use (maybe) someday.

Sposabella Lace is a small store, with unusually beautiful window displays.  It might feel a bit intimidating for the home sewer, as it isn't really the best place for browsing.  If you know what you want, and are comfortable asking, you will get the assistance you need.  Their salespeople are genuine salespeople, so be prepared to be asked if you are ready to purchase. They are a business, after all.  For 29 years now. And they are more businesslike than many of the other stores in the district.  There is a friendly, respectful formality there, which I really appreciate.

Their focus is mostly bridal, so you won't find a great range of colors to choose from, but boy, will you find some beautiful things!

And if you're thinking lace for me, look to this post by Peter for inspiration.

You don't need my pictures, since they also have a killer website.

They are open 9:15 to 6 weekdays, and 9:15 - 5 on Saturdays.  (I love that 15 minute buffer...)

6 comments:

  1. I am committed to making a wedding dress for my dd, but as of yet no date. She isn't into lots of lace though, which budget wise is good! I've noticed the store's window which is gorgeous, but never been in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't covered in lace, either, but they had irresistible tiaras!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip Mimi. Looks terrific. Wonderful that they have a online store for people like me in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm certain that they are great to work with from a distance, since others I've recommended to them have been happy!

      Delete
  3. It is a beautiful store and great staff. However their address changed due to them moving. Their new address is:
    240W 37TH street
    Store 1
    New York, NY 10018

    ReplyDelete
  4. Address has now been updated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.