Friday, April 4, 2014

Elegance in an Age of Crisis: Fashions of the 1930's

This is a current exhibit at the Museum at FIT.  Click through the link for hours.  Also note, this exhibit ends soon (April 19)!

When it comes to this exhibits, words fail me for this one.  I cannot adequately express how wonderfully, visually stimulating this exhibit is.  Just go.  It is amazing.  It is free.  It is timely, relevant, and smart.  If that isn't incentive enough, here is my stream of consciousness review...



Fred Astaire's custom shoes, the lovely draped geometry of Vionnet, lovely suits, a sweet and lovely hand knitted sweater... beauty at every turn.  They even took the time to show a woman's garment that is beautifully menswear inspired, despite its technical flaws.  I am so impressed that its value in this exhibit could be appreciated anyway!

Trust me on this one. It is powerful food for thought, particularly in the current US economy, with some historical perspective.


6 comments:

  1. I've been twice and loved it. Yes, Fred Astaire's shoes were a highlight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's magic in those shoes, isn't there? They have definite personality!

      Delete
  2. I haven't been yet but I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the timely post. I am in NYC for a visit and looking for things to do!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.