Friday, April 1, 2011

April Showers Time! Shopping for Rainwear Fabric

Rainwear fabric at B&J Fabrics

This week I got an incredible urge to make a stylish rain poncho (the most recent issue of Harper's Bazaar says ponchos are chic). Found this vintage pattern on Etsy and ran to B&J in the Garment District on my lunch hour. Alas, they were all out of the simple navy water-repellant nylon I wanted ($10.95/yd), so I sprinted over to Mood Fabric. (Really wish we could take the stairs up to Mood rather than waiting for the elevators to load with people before the elevator attendant will pull the ancient lever.) Mood doesn't have as many rainwear fabric options as B&J does, but their prices tend to be lower, around $8/yd. Bought 2.5 yards of water-repellent navy nylon, quickly chatted with owner Eric Sauma, and got the heck out of there just as a herd of FIT students were walking in. NY Elegant Fabrics also has rainwear fabrics, but I believe their prices are higher than Mood's (let me know if I'm wrong here). Readers, am I leaving out any other stores that sell rainwear fabrics in the Garment District? Let me know...

6 comments:

  1. Meg, I was just looking at a rainwear cape at Anthropologie's site. Bright yellow! With a cute belt. I so need a raincoat but not at Anthro's prices. I need to get sewing! Just for fun, it would be matchy-match to make a hat to go with the raincoat. Chances are you'd have enough leftovers....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Beth, a hat is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg - I don't know if you've worked with water repellent/resistent, etc. fabrics before but you might want to get this stuff for the seams: http://www.rockywoods.com/Hardware-Zippers/Seam-Sealers-Seam-Tapes/Melco-Seam-Tape-Black

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestion, Toby! I don't think I'm going to be strict with how waterproof this poncho is. I see it as being a casual coverup for light showers, like a windbreaker. But I love learning about products like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read my mind of this one. I just ordered the Amy Butler rain slicker pattern. New Jersey seems to be getting alot of rain these days I'm even thinking of investing in a pair of those cute rubber rain boots I see everywhere. Tired of soggy feet too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great post about rainwear canada. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.