Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Finding Bits of NYC's Past in the Garment District

Hecht Sewing Machine & Motor Co., 304 W. 38th Street, NY.

I love finding little glimpses into New York City's past: the wooden escalators at Macy's, our glorious main post office at Eighth and W. 33rd (technically not in the Garment District but close enough), and Hecht Sewing Machine & Motor Co. on W. 38th Street. I stuck my head in this emporium the other day and could have easily killed a few hours poking around the antiques here, many of which are related to the sewing industry. Unfortunately this lovely store is not open for retail traffic, but I don't think owner Steven Hecht minds the occasional visits from home sewists who just want to ogle items from their hobby's past.

See more photos and read more in-depth articles about Hecht here and here.

Don't you just love this vintage wooden display case filled with sewing machine feet?

Hecht regularly supplies props to the Smithsonian and the TV and film industry.

5 comments:

  1. That is totally cool! I'll have to stop by there the next time I'm in town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hecht. What a museum of the needle trades.

    I'm not a professional and I once bought something there. I did call ahead. I think if you are looking for something in particular with a genuine interest in a purchase, they don't mind.

    Steven Hecht's voice reminded me of Peter Riegert's character in the movie "Crossing Delancey."

    New York Sewer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the little gems like this. It's what makes a neighborhood a neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now if we could only talk Mr. Pink into returning.
    Not garment district nor fabric related but great vintage Christmas ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's taken me awhile to get back your site. I went to NYC for the first time in March with a group of students and fellow teachers from a St. Louis university where I teach sewing in the Fashion dept. I had printed out the map and suggested fabric & trim stores to visit. It was just marvelous. I had the best time and enjoyed the garment district very much as did the students. Thank you so much for the information, I know I would have missed so many wonderful shops without having visited this site. I can't wait for my next trip back to NYC. It was just awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and encourage your comments. Please note that I do reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent.